Gonzalo Wallis, MD
- Profession: Pediatric cardiologist that specializes in heart failure and heart transplant.
- Position for Camp: Camp Pediatric Cardiologist (on-call 24/7 during Kids Camp) & Admin support
- Hobbies: Tennis and traveling
- Favorite place: The beach
- Favorite food: Empanadas
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: Got involved with Camp LUCK because he strongly believes in the core values.
James Horstmann, MD
- Profession: Pediatric ICU at Levine Children Hospital
- Position for Camp: Camp Medical Doctor (On-Site) and Admin support
- Volunteers at Ventilator Camp and Serious Fun camp in New York, which is called the Double H Ranch. Also volunteers once or twice a year with Gift of Life, a group that goes to underdeveloped countries to build congenital heart programs.
- Favorite place to visit: Maine and Colorado to ski with my family.
- Favorite food: Tie between Pizza and Artichokes, lobster comes in a close third(Being from Maine).
- Hobbies: jogging, gardening, spending time with family, doing projects around the house that cost too much and produce too little. Also, Volunteers at Ventilator Camp and Serious Fun camp in New York, which is called the Double H Ranch. Also volunteers once or twice a year with Gift of Life, a group that goes to underdeveloped countries to build congenital heart programs.
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: Having been involved with Serious Fun Camps for the past 8 years, and going on Medical Missions for kids with Heart Conditions, it seemed like a perfect fit, close to home, passion for camp.
- Profession: Administrative Director for the SHVI Congenital Heart Program. I am responsible for providing support services for daily operations of all SHVI Pediatric practices. I provide leadership, guidance, and direction to achieve outcomes consistent with our mission and goals. I am also a registered nurse and may be seen in clinic or returning phones calls to parents.
- Position for Camp: Sanger Representative, provides guidance for Camp LUCK Admin
- Hobbies: In my spare time I enjoy cooking and working on the family farm.
- Favorite food: pasta (of any type).
- Favorite place: Disney World.
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: I’m involved in Camp LUCK because I see the value and positive impact on all our cardiac kids and want to contribute to that experience anv way I can.
- Profession: ECMO Specialist Nurse. I transport patients on ECMO
(extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) with Med Center Air. I also work as a local and national Nurse Educator.
- Position for Camp: Camp Nurse, Medical Team Support Specialist & Admin support
- Hobbies: I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, hiking, and cooking. I have recently learned that playing with my puppy Kali is also a favorite pastime! I absolutely LOVE to travel and eat! My favorite place to travel is usually where I am at the time – trying to make the best of each experience. I really like food – lots of it – new foods and old favorites are all delicious – but my favorite is a local food combined with a new experience!
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: I am involved with Camp LUCK because – I am a Heart Mom! Unless you are one you can’t truly understand us. Our feelings of love, pain and joy are exaggerated and dramatically combined to create new and often better (although crazier) versions of ourselves. I have served time in the trenches and am privileged to.
- Profession: Registered Cardiac Nurse (29 years)
- Position for Camp: Camp Nurse (on-site) and Health Care Administrator
- Married to Ben, who is my personal “Paul Bunyon.” I have 4 kids: Kyra 23, Emma 20, John 18 and Emily 17. I have 2 sweet dogs, Milo and Elly and an awesome horse named Remi!
- Favorite quote: by Erin Hansen – “What if I fail? Oh, but my darling, what if you FLY?”
- Volunteered at Camp LUCK for the past 5 years.
- Profession: Registered Nurse in CVICU at Levine Children’s Hospital. I take care of kids before and after open heart surgery. Also any kids requiring intensive care.
- Position for Camp: Camp Nurse (on-site) and HealthcareAdmin Team
- Hobbies: I am married with 2 kids 8 & 13. We enjoy playing 4-square and tennis. I love vacationing with Family.
- Favorite place: Skiing in Colorado is my favorite. I would live there in the Winter if I could.
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: Camp LUCK brings my passion for the kids I care for full circle. Watching the kids thrive and have fun at LUCK is such a gift.
- Profession: Registered Nurse in CVICU at Levine Children’s Hospital.
- Position for Camp: Camp Nurse (on-site) and HealthcareAdmin Team
- Hobbies: What makes me happy is my cat Isaiah, family, my artistic outlet in my pottery, breakfast anytime of the day and being out in nature.
- My life is better because of my experiences I’ve had in the CVICU with the inspiring warriors, the camaraderie and strength of my coworker and the passion of the families. quickly I realized that the cardiac kiddos were exactly where I needed to be. Amen!
- Many quotes inspire me but one that never fails is “changes in latitude, changes in attitude” – Jimmy Buffet
- Profession: Certified Child Life Specialist. I work with children to minimize fears and anxiety children may have with hospital experiences. I do this through education, preparation, and therapeutic play while also teaching coping skills. I too serve as an advocate for children & their families.
- Position for Camp: Camp Education, Mental Health and Admin support
- Hobbies: Biking, walking, and water sports. Spending time with my husband, vacationing, and spending time with my family and friends.
- Favorite place: Locally I love vacationing at Bald Head Island, NC
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: As soon as we took our initial start up support group to the next level with Camp LUCK, I immediately was on board! Camp mirrors exactly what my philosophy is as a child life specialist and I knew that I wanted to be apart of the life changing experiences camp provides for kids with CHD! I too looked forward to using my skills in the camp seting helping with programming and sibling support too. All of the staff is so passionate about bringing families together fostering a supportive heart community. Working with such dedicated and creative individuals in programming at camp and throughout the year is fun and exciting. I love impacting children in a positive way and this is why I love being involved with Camp LUCK!
- Profession: Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgical Nurse Navigator & Nurse Manager, Assist patients and their family navigate through the surgical process.
- Position for Camp: Camp Education, Admin support & backup
- Nurse Hobbies: Zumba, spending time with my families, friends, and puppies, being outside, and traveling.
- Favorite place visited: Zion National Park
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: I originally got involved with Camp to help support my patients and their families in a new way out of my work environment. This is still very important for me but there are so many other reasons I continue to be involved in Camp. Being a part of creating an unlimited environment that facilitates joy and growth through support and care has been a blessing for me. Working with an incredible network of staff and families to make Camp events happen throughout the year is truly magnificent!
Dr. Jessica Daniels
- Profession: Pediatric Cardiac ICU
- Position for camp: Medical team support
- Hobbies: Anything near the water! Relaxing on the beach, paddle boarding and sailing. I also love to hang out with my dog, Potter
- Favorite place to travel: Surfside Beach, SC
- Favorite food: All things pasta, ice cream sandwiches and s’mores!
- Why are you involved with Camp LUCK: I started helping with Camp LUCK as a resident doctor and love getting to see heart kids thriving. I kept coming back because it is such a blessing to care for heart kids in the hospital and to build relationships with them at camp.